Krav Maga and kickboxing are two highly popular fighting styles. Generally, most people find it difficult choosing between them. So, Krav Maga vs kickboxing: which style is better for you?
Krav Maga style is better if you want to improve self-defense since it focuses on protecting yourself and others. However, if you wish to participate in competitive combat, then kickboxing is the better choice. You can apply its techniques to defeat opponents in a ring.
Keep reading for a more detailed comparison of the two styles, their pros and cons. I’ll also provide some insights into which one is ideal for you in different circumstances.
What Is Krav Maga?
Krav Maga, a self-defense system developed for the Israel Defense Forces (IDF). It combines boxing, wrestling, Aikido, Karate, and Judo techniques to improve self-defense and protection. Police forces, militaries, and civilians looking to learn how to defend themselves often learn Krav Maga.
Krav Maga stresses simplicity and instinctive movements over complicated techniques. It has many moves that are very efficient in real-life self-defense situations. It also isn’t a traditional martial art. Instead, it’s a street fighting style with techniques inspired by martial arts, boxing, wrestling, and Jiu-Jitsu.
In brief, here are some of the interesting features of Krav Maga:
- Focuses on self-defense and protection.
- Teaches how to defend yourself from armed attackers.
- Developed for military use.
- Teaches some basic yet effective grappling techniques.
- Emphasizes striking at all ranges.
Who Should Learn Krav Maga?
Anyone who wishes to improve their self-defense should learn Krav Maga. Additionally, those who protect high-profile individuals should know this style. Therefore, civilians, military personnel, and law enforcement should learn this fighting style to respond better to attackers.
Krav Maga is the best self-defense system for anyone to learn. It’s an excellent option for:
- Law enforcement and military personnel who need to know how to protect themselves and others in life-threatening situations.
- Anyone interested in learning a simple and effective way to protect their loved ones from attackers.
- Individuals trying to defend themselves against common criminals, such as purse-snatchers and pickpockets.
- Young people looking for ways to build strength and confidence.
Why You Should Learn Krav Maga
To cut to the chase, here are some worthwhile reasons to learn Krav Maga:
- Krav Maga is a great way to supplement your existing martial arts training.
- It teaches atypical techniques, which may be effective against larger assailants who know traditional martial arts.
- This fighting method also stresses defense and common sense instead of relying on a strict regimen that can take years to master.
- Krav Maga has a reputation as a street-style self-defense system that is more accessible than traditional martial arts. It’s efficient and straightforward – but still reliable if someone bigger or stronger attacks you.
Here’s a video that shows how you could use Krav Maga moves in different scenarios:
Pros of Krav Maga
Krav Maga is a great way to keep in shape and learn how to protect yourself. This fighting style has many benefits, such as:
- It helps you build strength and endurance.
- It makes you tougher mentally and physically.
- Builds self-confidence and esteem.
- Improve the ability to make split decisions quickly and confidently.
- Teaches you practical techniques you can apply effectively in real-life situations and defend against common attacks.
In a nutshell, this fighting style can help save your life if you ever need it. Most Krav Maga classes teach students to use Krav Maga when they face an attacker.
It teaches you what areas of the body are the most vulnerable and how to use Krav Maga techniques to protect yourself effectively.
Cons of Krav Maga
Like with anything else, Krav Maga has its cons too. Here are some of its potential disadvantages:
- It’s too fast-paced for some people’s preferences. Krav Maga classes are often highly demanding, which can discourage some students from continuing with the training.
- It can be overly aggressive and dangerous. Krav Maga is a fighting system designed for survival, which means it may promote aggression and violence more than other self-defense systems.
- Krav Maga might not appeal to people who prefer traditional martial arts over modern street fighting.
What Is Kickboxing?
While Krav Maga is an effective street fighting style, kickboxing is a traditional sport with many rules and boundaries. It’s similar to boxing, but it also involves kicking.
Kickboxing is an individual combat sport based on kicking and punching. It combines elements of Muay Thai (Thailand) with western boxing techniques. It’s known for its extensive use of front, back, and side kicks, which account for the majority of scoring techniques.
Kicks and punches score points on a basis of speed and power. Kicking techniques are worth more points to encourage fighters to look for ways to kick the opponent in vulnerable places or to kick for momentum.
Who Should Learn Kickboxing?
Anyone interested in learning a martial art that emphasizes kicking, punching, and fitness should learn kickboxing. You could also learn this sport if you’re looking for fighting techniques you can apply in a match.
The following types of people might benefit from learning kickboxing:
- People looking for a way to get in shape and keep fit.
- Individuals interested in styles of self-defense other than Krav Maga (those who prefer traditional martial arts).
- Fans of striking combat sports, such as boxing and Muay Thai.
Why You Should Learn Kickboxing
Kickboxing is a great sport that combines various aspects of martial arts and boxing. Here are some reasons to learn kickboxing:
- It’s a great workout and is excellent for weight loss.
- Builds strength and endurance.
- Boosts your confidence and self-esteem.
- Increases your flexibility and coordination.
- It can be a great way to relieve stress and learn practical self-defense techniques.
Pros of Kickboxing
Here are some pros of kickboxing:
- It’s an excellent way to get in shape and lose weight. Kicks, punches, and fast footwork will get your heart pumping and tone your muscles.
- It’s a practical form of self-defense. Kicks and punches might be enough to deter an attacker or inflict injury, giving you enough time to escape.
- It’s a fun way to relieve stress. Kicking and punching at a speed and intensity that helps you work up a sweat can be an excellent exercise. This is an effective way to work through your stress and frustrations.
Cons of Kickboxing
Here are some cons of kickboxing:
- It’s not as effective on the street as Krav Maga.
- It can be overly physical and aggressive for some people. Kicking and punching at such a fast speed can be dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing. This is why it’s essential to learn the techniques properly from a certified coach or instructor.
- It has many rules, which some people may find frustrating. Krav Maga focuses more on practicality and self-defense. In contrast, kickboxing is a sport that has strict rules surrounding match conduct.
Krav Maga vs Kickboxing: Which Style Is Better For You?
Krav Maga is generally better for you if you want to improve your defense. If your goal is to participate in combat sports and win matches, you should choose kickboxing. However, if you want to be an all-rounded martial artist, then learning both may help.
Why You Should Choose Krav Maga for Self Defense
In brief, Krav Maga balances the need for a practical fighting technique with common-sense safety measures. This can help you escape from a threat.
You may want to learn this one if your concern is more personal safety than executing cool moves on opponents.
Krav Maga has its roots in self-reliance and survival of the fittest mentality. It lacks sporting competitions or tournaments (so no fight club atmosphere).
In a nutshell, self-defense is all about taking care of yourself rather than “winning” at life’s game.
If you need more information on this fighting style, I recommend watching Beginner Krav Maga: Self Defense Techniques by Michael Hodge (available on Amazon.com). It teaches self defense moves, including how to block punches and kicks, and how to escape choke holds and head locks, to mention but a few.
Why You Should Choose Kickboxing If You Prefer a Combat Sport
Kickboxing is a great way to test your fighting skills and learn hand-to-hand combat techniques. This style allows you to participate in competitive matches to test your skills and strategies against others.
Besides, kicks, punches, and fast footwork will get your heart pumping and tone your muscles.
Pro Tip: I recommend signing up for a class and meeting Krav Maga or kickboxing coaches in person to find out if they’re qualified and reputable.
Doing this will help you make an informed decision on what’s right for your goals, personality, and lifestyle.
Final Thoughts on Krav Maga vs Kickboxing: Which Style Is Better for You?
Krav Maga is one of the best styles you can learn to defend yourself if an attacker confronts you. It can help you escape or fight back in these situations. Therefore, Krav Maga is best for you if you want to learn practical self-defense.
On the other hand, kickboxing is best for you if you want to partake in competitive combat. It’s a fun way to relieve stress and get in shape. Kicking, punching, and running help you improve your fitness and endurance.